[Bioc-devel] Problem with subset("AnnDbBimap", ...) ?

hpages at fhcrc.org hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 10 22:11:44 CET 2009

Hi all,

I added the 'drop.invalid.keys' arg to the "subset" methods for Bimap
and AnnDbBimap objects in AnnotationDbi (devel and release):

   > library(hgu95av2.db)
   > subset(hgu95av2SYMBOL, Rkeys="foo")
   Error in .checkKeys(value, Rkeys(x), x at ifnotfound) :
     value for "foo" not found
   > mymap <- subset(hgu95av2SYMBOL, Rkeys="foo", drop.invalid.keys=TRUE)
   > mymap
   SYMBOL submap for chip hgu95av2 (object of class "AnnDbBimap")
   > summary(mymap)
   SYMBOL submap for chip hgu95av2 (object of class "AnnDbBimap")

   | Lkeyname: probe_id (Ltablename: probes)
   |    Lkeys: "1000_at", "1001_at", ... (total=12625/mapped=0)
   |
   | Rkeyname: symbol (Rtablename: gene_info)
   |    Rkeys:
   |
   | direction: L --> R

(Note that an argument named 'quiet' is generally not expected to
modify what a function is doing, only what the function is reporting,
hence the choice of 'drop.invalid.keys' for this arg.)

The new version of AnnotationDbi will propagate to the public repos
in about 24 hours.

Cheers,
H.

Quoting Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org>:

> [...]
> behave as consistently as possible across data structures.
>
> I'll add the 'quiet' argument to subset("AnnDbBimap", ...).
> You suggest to use 'quiet=FALSE' as default so by default
> it won't behave like for data frames but I guess at this point
> we don't want to make a change that could potentially turn into
> less safe code written by people who expect "subset" to check
> the validity of their keys.
>
> I'll let you know when the change is ready.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> H.
>

> Laurent Gautier wrote:
>> Hi Hervé,
>>
>> Thanks for for detailled answer.
>>
>> I understand that the choice was made to forbid the addition of
>> [L|R]keys to a Bimap (which you call "junk keys"). I suspect that
>> implementation concerns weighted in the decision, but that's for a
>> separate thread.
>>
>> Unless the message is that the environment-like API is not around
>> only for back-compatibility reasons, the main (consistency) problem
>>  I am having with subset("AnnDbBimap", ...) is  still present after
>>  reading your explanations, although it might be coming from the
>> use  of the function subset in R's base working on data.frame.
>>
>> I'll illustrate it with an example:
>>
>>> subset(CO2, Treatment == "unfair")
>> [1] Plant     Type      Treatment conc      uptake
>> <0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
>>
>> The function subset("data.frame", ...) is then no less endomorphic than
>> subset("AnnDbBimap", ...), yet it returns an empty data.frame
>> rather than raise an error such as 'no "unfair" Treatment'.
>>
>> In its current instance, the function subset("AnnDbBimap", ...)
>> might be pushing complexity toward the user for use-cases such as:
>> "I have a list of arbitrary gene symbols, and I'd like to get the
>> probes/probesets associated with those".
>>
>> The current (as of today) implementation for subset("Bimap", ...) is:
>>
>> setMethod("subset", "Bimap",
>>    function(x, Lkeys=NULL, Rkeys=NULL)
>>    {
>>        Lkeys(x) <- Lkeys
>>        Rkeys(x) <- Rkeys
>>    }
>> )
>>
>> while it could be like:
>>
>> setMethod("subset", "Bimap",
>>    function(x, Lkeys=NULL, Rkeys=NULL, quiet=FALSE)
>>    {
>>        if (quiet) {
>>            Lkeys(x) <- Lkeys[Lkeys %in% Lkeys(x)]
>>            Rkeys(x) <- Rkeys[Rkeys %in% Rkeys(x)]
>>        } else {
>>            Lkeys(x) <- Lkeys
>>            Rkeys(x) <- Rkeys
>>        }
>>    }
>> )
>>

>> Just a thought,
>>

>> L.
>>

>> Hervé Pagès wrote:
>>> Hi Laurent,
>>>
>>> All this is consistent. One important part of the contract for
>>> subset(), Lkeys<-, Rkeys<-, [ is that they behave like endomorphisms
>>> i.e. they return an instance of the same class as the original