[Bioc-devel] proposed change to arabidopsis mappings for arabidopsis chip annotation packages.

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Sat Sep 27 01:54:15 CEST 2008

Hello all arabidopsis developers,

In the arabidopsis chip annotation packages (for an example see
ath1121501.db
<http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/data/annotation/html/ath1121501.db.html>),
there are two mappings that show the relationship between the probe and
the internal gene ID.  For some probes, there are multiple genes that
map to a probe, and so for these cases, looking in the ACCNUM mapping
will give you the answer "multiple" instead of an ID.  For these same
multiple hit cases, looking in the MULTIHIT mapping will give several IDs.

We would like to do away with MULTIHIT, and instead just have the ACCNUM
return several IDs when several IDs are appropriate.  But we don't want
to break anyones world by making changes without consulting you 1st.  So
now is your chance to let us know if this change is unacceptable to
you.  If you prefer that things stay the same, please speak up so we can
know about it.

Thanks in advance for your input,

  Marc