[Bioc-devel] implementing interfaces

James Bullard bullard at berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 26 03:04:54 CET 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Sean Davis wrote:

> [...]
> the interface to AffyBatch is dynamically determined by loaded
> packages.
>
> Likely you'd invoke
>
> showMethods(class="AffyBatch", where=getNamespace("affy")
>
> to get a kind of base-line set of expected methods, i.e., those
> visible
> from affy.
>
>  But this all seems like a weird way to go.  I guess I don't really
> see the use
> case for:
>  I know this class (AffyBatch), and I want to find all generics that
> have
> methods for it, so I can implement my own class and the same set of
> methods.
>

>  Why not figure out what operations you think you want to support,
> and support
> those? What is so special about the set of generic functions that
> have AffyBatch
> methods that you would want to support those?
>
> Nothing is special about the set of generic functions that have
> AffyBatch methods except that the bg.correct.mas is defined to take
> an AffyBatch object and if I want to call this function I have to
> subclass AffyBatch or construct an AffyBatch. I don't have a CDF
> file, but I do have a notion of PM/MM probes. The real issue is that
> methods which are defined on classes are often unusable when you
> can't construct the object. The ideal way to do this would be (in my
> opinion)
>
> setMethod("indexProbes", signature(object = "AffyInterface", which =
> "character"), function(object, which, ...) {
>        stop("No suitable method defined.")
> })
>
> setMethod("bg.correct.mas", signature(object = "AffyInterface"),
> function(object, ...) {
>        # current defintion goes through.
> })
>
> Where AffyInterface is a virtual class (also no member variables)
> but has a set of methods associated with it. This is a much more
> "developer" friendly way to do it because then I don't have to
> concern myself with the internals of AffyBatch, just the interface
> that I need to implement to call a particular generic that I am
> interested in. I then would subclass the AffyInterface class which
> would impose no stricture on how I represent my class members, it
> would only (although not explicitly) proclaim that I implement the
> set of methods in AffyInterface.
>
> As Martin and I pointed out, perhaps in less than transparent words,
> there is no static concept of an interface to implement.  The
> "interface" in defined dynamically based on what methods are
> available in the search path.
> If there is a particular method for an AffyBatch that you want to
> implement for your class, you are free to do so by simply creating
> that method for your class.  If you think about it, what you are
> proposing is to do exactly that, since the methods really do need to
> access the internals of the class in order to operate.

I think you are not understanding. What you say above is incorrect
("methods really do need to access the internals of the class");
bg.correct.mas is a perfect example. If it *really* needed to access
the internals of a class then you would have a lot of @s in the code,
but you have none. This is because you can abstract the concepts of
bg.correct.mas away from a particular representation of the data. This
is what I am trying to drive home.

> The class has no methods "built into" it like other languages where
> the methods belong to the class directly.

This is not at issue here. If you have an API which is object oriented
then what is the right way to expose the functionality of that
library? If you tie the logic methods into a particular representation
then the only thing you gain from object orientation is encapsulation,
but you have lost the benefit of dispatch because it is *too* hard to
subclass when representations become complicated, in other words you
tie your contract (the set of methods that something needs to
implement) to an implementation -- this might not be a bad way to
design code for an in-house project, but it is a bad way to make/
expose libraries to other programmers.

Also, I do understand that I could use setMethod downstream on classes
thus making the interface a moving target, but I think that is
irrelevant here. The core classes and generics of bioconductor could
be explicitly defined at release time and I could depend on a set of
functionality exposed. Also, I understand that some of the particulars
of R make this a little challenging, but I do want to stress that I
think it is an error to assume that I somehow need to have a class to
gain access to functionality -- that is an implementation issue.

thanks, jim