[Bioc-devel] Download numbers

Steffen Neumann sneumann at ipb-halle.de
Mon Nov 10 09:55:30 CET 2008

Hi BioC-infrastructure-maintainers,

recently someone asked me whether BioC has
a download counter for the packages, which comes in
very handy if you want to know your user base
(and for writing grant applications).

So I propose to add download counters
for the binary and source tarballs
on the package pages http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/html/package.html

One'd have to discuss (or simply define :-)
whether these are grant totals, or by-version,
by-month, and/or by-architecture etc.

Currently there are only few bioc mirrors,
so I'd expect the numbers from bioc.org log files
to be a) a lower bound and b) not too far off
the actual download rates.

Yours,
Steffen

--
IPB Halle                    AG Massenspektrometrie & Bioinformatik
Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE