[Bioc-devel] R cmd check time limits for BioConductor

Wed Jun 11 21:10:57 CEST 2008

This is just a followup to what Vince was asking "what would we want
with unlimited resources.  I agree with others that there are often
two tiers of tests I think a package could have. Small quick tests are
(perhaps) sensible to run daily, but longer tests would only have to
be run once in a while. I however strongly feel that the opportunity
to get these tests run on a variety of platforms can prove
indispensable for catching bugs you only see when moving across OS's
and compilers. Perhaps I have been unlucky but the majority of the
nasty bugs I have been involved with are of this type.

So to wrap it up: I am fine with only allowing 5 minutes per run, but
in my dream world it would be possible for developers to request to
get the results of a longer test. That will be very nice when (1) you
are working hard on changing core things in the package and (2)
nearing a new release when you are wondering about the accumulated
changes in all packages. By having it being request only, we will
spend relatively few cpu cycles on it compared to a daily check.

Of course, I have no great idea as to how such a system could be
implemented. I assume granting ssh access is out of the question.

Kasper