[Bioc-devel] affypdnn: Request for moving "Depends" packages to "Suggests"

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Jul 1 09:21:59 CEST 2008

I would certainly like to second that view - in general folks should
spend some time, before each release looking at dependencies and trying
to reduce them, if at all possible.
Of course some of the issues are caused by the rather over aggressive
way that R CMD check deals with some-time dependencies, but there are no
easy ways (yet) to deal with that.

best wishes
   Robert

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this one is mainly for the maintainer (Laurent Gautier), but I post it
> to bioc-devel also as request to minimize package dependencies in R
> and BioC in general:
>
> The current DESCRIPTION of 'affypdnn' is:
>
> Package: affypdnn
> Version: 1.14.3
> Depends: R (>= 2.3.0), affy (>= 1.5), affydata, hgu95av2probe
>
> Could you please update this to:
>
> Package: affypdnn
> Version: 1.14.3
> Depends: R (>= 2.3.0), affy (>= 1.5)
> Suggests: affydata, hgu95av2probe
>
> and use request("affydata") and request("hgu95av2probe") where those
> two are actually needed?
>
> Cheers
>
> Henrik

Robert Gentleman, PhD