[Bioc-devel] How to install a package from bioC devel?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jan 16 21:41:06 CET 2008

cstrato wrote:
> Dear Vincent
>
> Thank you, but this is not what I want. I would like to install the
> package from BioC devel in R-2.6.1.
>
> In: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2008-January/001454.html
> Seth mentioned that it is possible to use install.packages for this
> purpose, but I get the error mentioned.
> Did I make a mistake or is the URL wrong?
>
> Best regards
> Christian
>
> Vincent Carey 525-2265 wrote:
>> biocLite will install the devel version of the package
>> if invoked from R devel (2.7.0 at this time)
>>
>> ---
>> Vince Carey, PhD
>> Assoc. Prof Med (Biostatistics)
>> Harvard Medical School
>> Channing Laboratory - ph 6175252265 fa 6177311541
>> 181 Longwood Ave Boston MA 02115 USA
>> stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
>>
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, cstrato wrote:
>>

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> How can a user install a package from BioC devel?
>>>
>>> I have tried the following:
>>>
>>> 1. biocLite:
>>>  >
>>> biocLite("http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.2/bioc/src/contrib/xps",
>>> type="source")
>>> Running biocinstall version 2.1.8 with R version 2.6.1
>>> Your version of R requires version 2.1 of Bioconductor.
>>> Warning in install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
>>> dependencies,  :
>>>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/Users/rabbitus/Library/R/library'
>>> Warning message:
>>> In install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
>>> dependencies,  :
>>>   package
>>> 'http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.2/bioc/src/contrib/xps' is not
>>> available
>>>

>>> 2. install.package from BioC devel repository:
>>>  >
>>> install.packages("xps_0.4.1.tar.gz",repos="http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.2/bioc/src/contrib/")

First, you don't want to state the version. By giving the repository you
will automatically get the correct version.

>>> Warning in install.packages("xps_0.4.1.tar.gz", repos =
>>> "http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.2/bioc/src/contrib/") :
>>>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/Users/rabbitus/Library/R/library'
>>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>>> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.2/bioc/src/contrib/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6

The above should have given you a big hint: What you gave as the
repository ended up with 'bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6' added on the
end. So two things are happening.

First, the repository you are giving is wrong -- install.packages() will
add the specific directory to get the package, so remove the
src/contrib/ from the end.

Second, you evidently want a source package, but you are not telling
install.packages(), so it is trying to get the universal binary. Hint:
type="source".

Best,

Jim

>>> Warning message:
>>> package 'xps_0.4.1.tar.gz' is not available
>>>

>>> 3. download the package and use install.package locally:
>>>  > install.packages("/Volumes/CoreData/CRAN/xps_0.4.1.tar.gz",repos=NULL)
>>> Warning in install.packages("/Volumes/CoreData/CRAN/xps_0.4.1.tar.gz",
>>> repos = NULL) :
>>>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/Users/rabbitus/Library/R/library'
>>> Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
>>> In addition: Warning message:
>>> In gzfile(file, "r") :
>>>   cannot open compressed file 'xps_0.4.1.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION'
>>>
>>> As you see, none of the methods that I have tried works.
>>> Is the URL of the BioC devel repository correct?
>>> Why does the local installation not work?
>>>
>>> The only installation method that works is:
>>> R CMD INSTALL -l ~/Library/R/library xps_0.4.1.tar.gz
>>>
>>>  > sessionInfo()
>>> R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
>>> i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
>>>
>>> locale:
>>>
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

>>> [1] rcompgen_0.1-17 tools_2.6.1
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Christian
>>> C.h.i.s.t.i.a.n S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a