[Bioc-devel] creating win package from linux

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Feb 21 23:09:16 CET 2008

Hi John,

Yeah. You can't just zip packages up and then use the installer to
install. You have to actually build the packages, even on Windows. That
website must not have been updated for years now. First go here:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#The-Windows-toolset

All you need to do is get the Rtools.exe from Duncan Murdoch's site, run
it, allow it to set your PATH and then you should be able to install the
package similarly to how you did on Linux.

rcmd build <path_to_package_with_no_spaces_and_forward_slashes>

e.g. rcmd build c:/docume~1/john/desktop/ixe
if the package is on your desktop and your username is 'john'

rcmd check ixe.tar.gz
rcmd install ixe.tar.gz

Having things like the HTML help workshop and LaTeX are nice but not
necessary. Having the Inno Setup Installer is only necessary if you want
to build R from source and create an installer.

Best,

Jim