[Bioc-devel] Limma 2.13.7: VSN normalization

Koen Van Leemput koen.vanleemput at ua.ac.be
Tue Apr 15 18:28:03 CEST 2008

Hello,

In preparation of an upgrade of R on our server, I have been testing our
microarray analysis workflow (making extensive use of the limma and vsn
packages)  and comparing results between the recent versions I am using
now (R 2.6.2, limma 2.13.7 and vs 3.4.13)  and the old versions that are
currently in use (R 2.4.1, limma 2.9.13, vsn 1.12.0).

I have observed differences in the output of the
"normalizeBetweenArrays" function when using the "vsn" normalization
method.

After looking through the documentation of both limma and vsn I think
the problem lies in the fact that the main normalization function in the
recent vsn package (called "vsn2") outputs data on a glog scale to base
2 while the previous version of this function "vsn" outputs data on glog
scale of the natural logarithm.

I have looked at the actual call made by limma in version 2.9.13:

       y <- vsn(intensities = y, ...)
        n2 <- ncol(y at exprs)/2
        G <- y at exprs[, 1:n2]/log(2)
        R <- y at exprs[, n2 + (1:n2)]/log(2)

and compared it to the call made in the newer version 2.13.7:

        y <- vsnMatrix(x = y, ...)
        n2 <- ncol(y at hx)/2
        G <- y at hx[, 1:n2]/log(2)
        R <- y at hx[, n2 + (1:n2)]/log(2)

Am I right in thinking that the division by log(2) is not necessary
anymore in this last case?

As far as I have tested, calling vsn like this:

       y <- vsnMatrix(x = y, ...)
       n2 <- ncol(y at hx)/2
       G <- y at hx[, 1:n2]
       R <- y at hx[, n2 + (1:n2)]

produces very similar results to the old situation.  Is this something
that should be changed in the new limma version or are the new results
actually the more correct?

Thanks,
kind regards,
Koen

--
Koen Van Leemput
Advanced Database Research and Modelling (ADReM)
e-mail: koen.vanleemput at ua.ac.be
tel.: +32 3 265 3407
fax: +32 3 265 3204