[Bioc-devel] Class and Inheritance problem

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 21 22:31:38 CEST 2007

After seeing the error, I do

> traceback()

and get

33: isVersioned(object)
32: validityMethod(as(object, superClass))
31: identical(x, TRUE)
30: anyStrings(validityMethod(as(object, superClass)))
29: validObject(.Object)

and groan. callNextMethod eventually leads to the default initialize
method, which constructs an object by filling in slots. The default
method then checks the validity of the object. It does this by
coercing the object from it's actual class through its super-classes,
with (in validObject)

  as(object, superClass)

ExpressionSet extends several classes, the first of which is
"Versioned". There is no coerce method from ACMECalc to Versioned, so
the methods package creates one. We can view it after the error with:

> getMethod("coerce", c("ACMECalc", "Versioned"))

which starts

> getMethod("coerce", c("ACMECalc", "Versioned"))
Method Definition:

function (from, strict = TRUE)
if (strict) {
    from <- {
        value <- new("ACME")
        for (what in c("assayData", "phenoData", "featureData",
        "experimentData", "annotation", ".__classVersion__")) slot(value,
            what) <- slot(from, what)
        value
    }

and you can see the naked call to ACME.

>From a pragmatic perspective, this means that 'new' must be able to be
called with no arguments, and return a valid object. You could define
coerce methods from your class up the chain, but this would be
tedious.

Since 'new' has to work with no additional arguments, it undermines
the utility of direct calls to 'new' as an interface to construct
objects. This has partly directed me toward favoring constructors
ACMECalc(...) and viewing 'new' as a strictly 'low-level' interface to
the class, much like '@' or 'slot'.

Hope that helps, and that it's not too incorrect.

Martin

Martin Morgan
Bioconductor / Computational Biology
http://bioconductor.org