[Bioc-devel] RFC - annotation packages and ExpressionSets

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Thu Sep 13 18:28:07 CEST 2007

Hi all,
   As most of you are probably aware in the 2.1 release we will be
introducing new variants of (almost) all annotation packages.  For the
2.1 release, at least the naming scheme will be
   hgu95av2, for environment based packages
   hgu95av2.db, for database variants.

  But, we have no intention of maintaining the environment based
variants (and they may indeed go away by 2.2).

   So this suggests that in the 2.2 release we would then move to

  hgu95av2, for database variants
  hgu95av2.env for environment based ones.

  An alternative is to simply retain the hgu95av2.db scheme (but that
gets a bit ugly).

  Where things might become problematic is the interaction with
ExpressionSets, where we have (and often use) the annotation slot.
  I propose that we modify the accessor function to return the .db name,
for this release and that we try and track down all direct access via @
in the code base and replace it with use of the accessor function.

  Comments?

  Robert

--
Robert Gentleman, PhD