[Bioc-devel] Environment/RSqlite db interaction

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Sep 12 21:28:58 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have stumbled upon a weird interaction between the SQlite-based
annotation packages and the old environment-based packages.

The annaffy package has a function is_dbpackage() that is used to strip
off the .db at the end of the SQlite packages, using something like this:

tmp <- as.environment(paste("package", chip, sep=":"))
exists("db_conn", tmp)

If a SQlite package is loaded first, this test fails:

 > library(GO.db)

Welcome to Bioconductor

   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

 > library(mouse4302)
 > tmp <- as.environment("package:mouse4302")
 > exists("db_conn", tmp)
[1] TRUE

But if the env-based package is loaded first, it works:

 > library(mouse4302)
 > library(GO.db)

Welcome to Bioconductor

   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

 > tmp <- as.environment("package:mouse4302")
 > exists("db_conn", tmp)
[1] FALSE

I can get around this behavior for now by remembering to load the envs I
need to use with annaffy first. However, for end users this won't
necessarily be an option, and annaffy fails miserably if you load things
in the 'wrong' order.

Is this something that needs to be fixed in annaffy, or should this test
reliably detect the difference between an env or SQlite based package?

Best,

Jim

Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.0 alpha (2007-09-11 r42820)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] tools     stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] GO.db_1.17.1         AnnotationDbi_0.1.15 RSQLite_0.6-0
[4] DBI_0.2-3            Biobase_1.15.33      mouse4302_1.17.0
[7] rcompgen_0.1-15

---
James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician