[Bioc-devel] All Package Maintainers Please README!

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Oct 26 16:48:39 CEST 2007

Robert recently suggested that I make a stab at a blog-based changelog
rather than the current monthly postings, sort of similar to what Duncan
Murdoch has done with the R NEWS and windows CHANGELOG.

The biggest difference between what is done for R and what I will be
doing for BioC is this; R-core does a really good job of writing
explanatory notes describing what the change was, and what it means for
the end user.

On the other hand, the commit messages that people use range from the
ridiculous to the sublime. Since I will no longer be parsing the commit
messages by hand, I will not be able to remove the more useless messages
that people tend to use, and these things will go straight to the
changelog for all to see.

So, first thing; if you don't want your section of the changelog to be
populated with things like 'WTF was I thinking?!@!?@!?' or 'Oops', or
the venerable 'commit' or better yet, the ever popular ' ', you will
want to actually use a commit message that means something with respect
to the commit you just made.

Now I know some of the commit messages are not intended for public
consumption, so there is a way out. If you prepend your commit message
with INTERNAL, then it will be scrubbed. Or at least I think it will
;-D. I'm using Python for the first time to do the parsing, so I am sure
there are bugs aplenty. Note that this INTERNAL thing is _by line_, so
if you do something like:

INTERNAL This is a commit message nobody should ever see.

But they can see this one.

Then the second part of the message _should_ get through. Note that you
need to use INTERNAL exactly, as it is always possible that someone
might use Internal at the beginning of a commit message that they want
published, so I am not doing any case-changing on the test for this string.

The changelog as it currently exists (with just one day of changes so
far) can be viewed here:

http://fgc.lsi.umich.edu/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi

Please take a look and send me any suggestions.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.