[Bioc-devel] Segfault/Valgrind/bgx

Ernest Turro ernest.turro at ic.ac.uk
Sun May 6 20:44:50 CEST 2007

Hi Martin, Seth,

On 6 May 2007, at 18:45, Seth Falcon wrote:

> Hi Martin, Ernest,
>
> Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fhcrc.org> writes:
>> Ernest,
>>
>> I wonder if the problem comes from writing to your C variable dirname
>> in bgx.cc:243 ?
>>
>> At the risk of spreading mis-information, from looking at the code
>> for
>> .C, in src/main/dotcode.c:do_dotCode and RObjToCPtr, it looks like
>> what happens is that 'gobbledigook' is copied to dirname[0], with
>> allocation for strlen(gobbledigook)+1 space; you'll then overwite
>> this
>> with the return path, and bad things happen when the return path is
>> longer than gobbledigook.

Thanks so much - that was indeed it. In the past, the dirname string
was "run.1", "run.2", etc... so in practice no more than 5 characters
long. But just before the package was accepted, I had to change it to
file.path(tempdir(),"bgx") by default, thus making it potentially a
lot longer. I forgot to increase the length of of dirname
apporpriately. Well spotted - thank you!

> Nice catch, Martin.  I think there is a real issue there.
> Overwritting the char* buffer is a problem, but you won't always see a
> crash because it depends on what you overwrite.  Below are extracts
> from a small test package that can be used to demonstrate this.
>
> Now, while we are taking a look at bgx, one comment for Ernest:
>
>    R provides nice random number and statistical distribution
>    functions and you might consider using them (instead of
>    bgx/src/qnorm.c, for example) -- at least when running as an R
>    package.  I encourage you to consider using .Call instead of .C as
>    you will have a lot more control over the inputs and what you
>    return to R.

Thanks Seth. I'll definitely look into this for the next release.

Cheers,

Ernest