[Bioc-devel] how to get genomic sequences?

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Mar 28 00:03:09 CEST 2007

Hi Roger,

You can use one of the Biostrings-based genome data packages for this.
Those packages contain the full genomic sequences for some organisms.

Here is how to proceed (with R-devel + Bioc-devel).

1) Install BSgenome
===================

> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> biocLite("BSgenome")
> library(BSgenome)
> available.genomes()
 [1] "BSgenome.Celegans.UCSC.ce2"
 [2] "BSgenome.Dmelanogaster.BDGP.Release5"
 [3] "BSgenome.Dmelanogaster.FlyBase.r51"
 [4] "BSgenome.Dmelanogaster.UCSC.dm2"
 [5] "BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg16"
 [6] "BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg17"
 [7] "BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg18"
 [8] "BSgenome.Mmusculus.UCSC.mm7"
 [9] "BSgenome.Mmusculus.UCSC.mm8"
[10] "BSgenome.Scerevisiae.UCSC.sacCer1"

2) Install and load a specific genome
=====================================

> biocLite("BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg18") # can take a long time (850M to download)
> library(BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg18)
> ls(2)
[1] "Hsapiens"
> Hsapiens
Homo sapiens genome:

  Single sequences (DNAString objects, see '?seqnames'):
    chr1           chr2           chr3           chr4           chr5
    chr6           chr7           chr8           chr9           chr10
    chr11          chr12          chr13          chr14          chr15
    chr16          chr17          chr18          chr19          chr20
    chr21          chr22          chrX           chrY           chrM
    chr5_h2_hap1   chr6_cox_hap1  chr6_qbl_hap2  chr1_random    chr2_random
    chr3_random    chr4_random    chr5_random    chr6_random    chr7_random
    chr8_random    chr9_random    chr10_random   chr11_random   chr13_random
    chr15_random   chr16_random   chr17_random   chr18_random   chr19_random
    chr21_random   chr22_random   chrX_random

  Multiple sequences (BStringViews objects, see '?mseqnames'):
    upstream1000  upstream2000  upstream5000

  (use the '$' or '[[' operator to access a given sequence)

3) Use getSeq() to retrieve the genomic sequence in a given chromosome, at given start and end

> getSeq(Hsapiens, "chrX", 100, 150)
[1] "CCTGAGCCAGCAGTGGCAACCCAATGGGGTCCCTTTCCATACTGTGGAAGC"

If you need to retrieve a big chunk (> 100000 nucleotides), then it's much more efficient
to use as.BStringViews=TRUE:

> getSeq(Hsapiens, "chrX", 100, 5000000, as.BStringViews=TRUE)
  Views on a 154913754-letter DNAString subject
Subject: CTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAA...TGTGGGTGTGTGGGTGTGGTGTGTGGGTGTGGT
[1]   100 5000000 4999901 [CCTGAGCCAGCAGTGGCAACCCAA...CCTATTATTGACTTCACTTGAGCT]

See ?getSeq (from BSgenome package) for more info...

Finally, there have been some important improvements + changes in the devel versions
of Biostrings and BSgenome so I strongly suggest you use Bioc-devel for this.
Let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
H.