[Bioc-devel] RFC: xy2i and i2xy in *cdf packages

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:52:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

may I suggest to leave the package framework for "CDF package" an move
to an object-oriented framework.  Define a class AffyCdf class that
provide various access methods, e.g. indexToCoordinate() and
coordinateToIndex().  Let subclass AffyCdfPackage extend AffyCdf such
that its methods queries existing CDF package. Yet another class
AffyCdfFile works directly towards CDF files.  AffyCdfDb works towards
a data base, and so on.  All provide the same API.

Migration: First step would be add an object of class AffyCdfPackage
inside CDF packages, alternatively provide an additional way of
name as the "clean" chip type (CDF) name, e.g. 'hgu133a'.
Then packages start using the AffyCdfPackage API (instead of accessing
the CDF package environment directly), e.g. cdf <- hgu133a; idx <-
coordinateToIndex(cdf, xy).  Both CDF package and AffyCdf object
coexists for the price of one until all packages migrated.  When that
is done, we have much more flexibility.

With the above design it would be a piece of a cake to add a
AffyCdfFile class to query CDF files on the fly using affxparser.

/Henrik