[Bioc-devel] RFC: xy2i and i2xy in *cdf packages

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 16:07:37 CEST 2007

Hi Jim,

I think Francesco's point is valid.
The chip design is independent of particular instances of data, and
includes the size of the chip. That the chip size resides in the data
container (AffyBatch) and all the other geometry annotation in the CDF
is incoherent. So, when the i2xy and xy2i functions go, can't we have
this annotation constant defined in the CDF package as well, so that you
can say, for example

  xy <- indices2xy(i, cdf=hgu133acdf)

Btw, the reason for putting the xy2i and i2xy functions into the CDF
packages was that these mapping functions are really a chip-geometry
annotation. It was a mistake to export them like that, though, they
should always only have been visible as hgu133acdf::xy2i() or
hgu133acdf$xy2i().

  Best wishes
  Wolfgang