[Bioc-devel] TypeInfo

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Wed Mar 7 17:49:14 CET 2007

Wolfgang,
   Yes it is used, but not in Bioconductor, as that is not a really
useful use case (at least not right now). MLInterfaces would benefit
from it, as would anyone that was developing GUIs (but we don't have the
resources to do that, and so it is not being done much).

   What we have done is to create small packages that provide interfaces
to underlying functionality. In your case it might be
   vsnWS which contains relatively few functions that can be invoked in
a web services mode. We have not exposed all functions in any package
(mostly because you would need to have some sort of service model that
captured state).

  best wishes
    Robert

Wolfgang Huber wrote:
> Hi Martin, Robert, Seth
>
> what's up with "TypeInfo"? Seems that nobody has been using it so far in
> Bioconductor:
>
> huber at lobito:~/madman/Rpacks$ find . -name DESCRIPTION \
>      -exec grep -H TypeInfo {} \;
> ./TypeInfo/DESCRIPTION:Package: TypeInfo
> ......and nothing else......
>
> and the last substantial svn commits are from 2005.
>
> Misha's person at ArrayExpress who wants to put Web-GUIs on
> bioc-packages has asked me to provide the functions in vsn with
> TypeInfo, is that something worthwhile?
>
> Best wishes
>    Wolfgang

Robert Gentleman, PhD