[Bioc-devel] RFC: Naming scheme for organism level annotation data packages

Vincent Carey 525-2265 stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 23 12:20:11 CEST 2007

> Those are fine suggestions.  Do you (or others) think it is worth
> having a common prefix for all organism level packages?
>
>    org.sgd.Sc.db
>    org.eg.Hs.db
>    org.eg.Mm.db
>
> Since we don't (yet) have a super fancy dynamic webapp that allows
> users to slice and dice their package display, there is some immediate
> benefit to having similar packages sort next to each other.

wouldn't the sorting be more informative if we had, for example

org.Hs.eg.db -- entrez gene
org.Hs.en.db  -- ensembl, maybe

i.e., provider would nest within organism.  if it is not intended
to have multiple providers, take it out

org.Hs.db
org.Sc.db

i would expect to scan for organism first, then for provider within
organism if we are going to distinguish these.

if the justification for the "eg" is clear in earlier posts, disregard
this ... i did not read them closely enough to remember now.