[Bioc-devel] Procedure for fixing packges in the current BioC release

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Jul 19 00:03:45 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Ana sent this question and, with her permission, I thought I would
answer on the list.

Ana Conesa writes:
> I want to ask you about the procedure for updating packages/fixing
> bugs in between BioC releases. How does it go? I guess you should
> commit your changes first using subversion, and then?

First, let me remind you about the branches we have in svn for
development.  Development on BioC-devel happens on the svn "trunk".
Development on the current 2.0 release happens on the release branch:

  https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/branches/RELEASE_2_0/madman/Rpacks/

We do not make changes to old releases.

Only bug fixes should be applied to the release branch.  If you have a
fix, you should make them in a working copy of your package from the
release branch (this is important).  Be sure to:

   - increment the version number (only last digit should change)
   - run R CMD check on your package and on any packages that Depend
     on your package.
   - commit to the release branch

Then the build process will propagate your update to the release
repository (assuming it passes check for us as well).

There are some more details here:

    http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/HowTo/Update_Release_Branch

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org