[Bioc-devel] RPMs for Bioconductor from Biopackages

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 26 10:34:05 CET 2007

    Allen> Hi,
    Allen> This is a cross post to both the Biopackages discussion list and the
    Allen> Bioconductor devel list.

    Allen> I'm an RPM developer for the Biopackages project (
    Allen> http://biopackages.net ).  We've previously built Bioconductor 1.8 for
    Allen> several different flavors and architectures of Fedora and CentOS.
    Allen> This is handled by a SGE based build farm that we've developed for the
    Allen> Biopackages project, article forthcoming.

    Allen> Now we want to package the Bioconductor 2.0 devel packages.

and you know that this implies its users use R-devel aka
 "R version x.y.z Under development (unstable) ......
		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Of course that's nice for bioconductor *developers* who are
themselves willing to work with a bleeding-edge version of R
which can well be broken at times.

But packaging these things, means putting it into hands of useRs
who may be pretty clueless about the "unstable" part of the
underlying R version.

Hence, (as an R-core developer) I'm a bit nervous about the
dangers of such a deployment..

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich