[Bioc-devel] update packages not working

Kimpel, Mark William mkimpel at iupui.edu
Mon Jan 22 18:11:52 CET 2007

Seth,

My thoughts on version numbers were really just an aside. You are
certainly correct that if new users do everything correctly they will
have no problems. Here, however, is one scenario where I can see someone
screwing something up. User only used R/BioC intermittently and has
version R 2.1 on his machine. He reads about a new package in
Bioinformatics, goes to the BioC website, downloads this new package
(created to run in R 2.4.1) and installs from zip file. Couldn't this
cause problems for the user? Perhaps this is just theoretical and never
happens in practice. The next time I see what I think is a real world
example, I'll forward it to you. Unless someone else has something to
add, let's just drop this for now.

My real problem is that I am not sure if the update packages code is
working in R 2.5.0. Is the warning message itself a bug or is the update
not working? So far I haven't been prompted to enter "y" to update a
BioC package, whereas I have for CRAN packages.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile

(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)

1-(317)-536-2730 FAX