[Bioc-devel] update packages not working

Kimpel, Mark William mkimpel at iupui.edu
Mon Jan 22 11:39:03 CET 2007

Seth,

Regarding synching version numbers of R and BioC, I see your point about
giving the impression that they are the same project, whereas in reality
they are separate. It seems to me, however, that there are many cases on
the list that result from a newer BioC version being used with an older
R version. I think that the bioinformatics folks focus in on getting the
latest and greatest packages for BioC and forget that R is also
evolving. On start-up, could R run a quick check of version numbers of
all packages to see if they are supported by the base R version and, if
not, give a list of those that are not? It might be a more visible
warning that putting a warning up when packages are loaded as these can
get lost in the jumble of scrolling screen output. For myself, I simply
have the commands you gave me in .Rprofile and I update every time R
starts up. It makes the process a little slower, but it was the only way
I could make myself remember to do it on a regular basis and it
certainly beats spending time debugging something only to find that I am
working with an outdated package.

Well, now onto a real-world problem that I am having. I could not get
your code to work for updating my BioC devel packages. It does work for
CRAN. At the end of this post is a screen dump with code, error message
and sessionInfo(). Any thoughts?

Mark

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library("Biobase")

Welcome to Bioconductor

    Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
    'openVignette()' or start with 'help(Biobase)'. For details
    on reading vignettes, see the openVignette help page.

>     update.packages(repos=biocReposList())
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/monograph/bin/windows/contrib/2.5
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.0 Under development (unstable) (2007-01-19 r40528)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "tools"     "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
"datasets"  "methods"   "base"

other attached packages:
  Biobase
"1.13.34"
> update.packages(ask='graphics')
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---

Mark W. Kimpel MD

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile

(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)

1-(317)-536-2730 FAX