[Bioc-devel] Install subset of R package

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Jan 6 23:37:19 CET 2007

Oliver --

There are some hints in the 'Writing R Extensions' manual, 'Creating R
packages' section 1.2, 'Configure and cleanup'. It could be automatic
(e.g., testing whether the necessary components are available) or
user-configurable (using --configure-args when the package is
installed, from the command line). To get this right (e.g., working
across platforms) could be quite tedious.

Martin

"Oliver Bembom" <bembom at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know of a way to install only a subset of an R package? An R
> package that I've written contains a GUI part that depends on tcl/tk, and
> some users would like to able to install the package on systems without
> tcl/tk support. Since the package can be used fine without the GUI, I was
> thinking that I could just remove the GUI part from the package and move it
> into a separate add-on package. This would be fairly straightforward.
> Alternatively, is there a way to offer an option that would allow the user
> to decide at install time to not install the GUI part? All the functions for
> the GUI are in a separate .R file; only one of the GUI functions is exported
> in the NAMESPACE and is called at only one point in the remainder of the
> package. Thanks,
>
> Oliver
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Martin T. Morgan