[Bioc-devel] Change to Biobase release branch causing package failure?

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Sun Aug 26 19:00:17 CEST 2007

Hi

I think a recent change to Biobase has caused my package (puma) to fail
to build in the release branch when previously it was fine. Could
someone confirm that this could indeed be the case? I want to be sure of
this because I have recently had a paper rejected and the first reason
given was that the reviewers found that they could not get the package
to work. I think I have now fixed the problem but I would like to
challenge the rejection decision saying it was due to something which
was beyond my control.

I believe the change that caused this was committed with the following
message on svn:

      Harmonize dimnames of ExpressionSet assayData elements, if
      possible

      * 'harmonize' means to ensure that all dimnames are
      consistent with names from phenoData, featureData

      * Only possible if elements differ with NULL dimnames, not
      if elements have different dimnames; in this case, signal an
      error about conflicting dimnames

I had an example which created an ExpressionSet which had different
column names for different assayData elements, which previously caused
no problems.

This leads me to wonder whether the second "rule" for updating the
release branch (http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/HowTo/Update_Release_Branch)
needs to be tightened to include something like:

2. It is very important not to change the signature of any functions,
not to add or remove functions, /and not to change functions such that
new errors might be given by the function/.

Best regards

Richard.