[Bioc-devel] RFC: xy2i and i2xy in *cdf packages

Wed Apr 11 20:34:11 CEST 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:02 AM, Laurent Gautier wrote:

> 2007/4/11, Seth Falcon <sfalcon at fhcrc.org>:
>> lgautier at altern.org writes:
>>
>>> Thanks for having the time and energy to fix that.
>>>
>>> If S4 allows one to create a class that inherits directly from
>>> "environment", that might be an elegant way to go for a first step.
>>> The dimensions can be stored as attributes.
>>> (Across R versions, it used to be allowed, not allowed, then allowed
>>> again... I do not know the current status).
>>
>> We are currently in a regime in which it is _not_ possible to extend
>> "environment" using an S4 class.
>
> Tough luck...
>
>> I think the suggestions for an object based setup are good ones, but
>> given time and people resource constraints, I think the easier
>> solution is best for the upcoming release.
>
> I agree completely that what is most urgent is a fix to avoid function
> overriding to cause nasty problem, and that there are constraints
> around
> time and people.
> Should a little committee chat around the easiest fix to ensure
> that there
> are no other problems around it ?

How about putting them into a namespace and not export it (that might
be what Jim is thinking of). There is also the little thing that the
chip dimensions are also stored in the AffyBatch objects so now they
will be stored twice... this opens up some consistency things. But
then again, that will likely not be a problem.

Kasper