[Bioc-devel] How to check package changes?

Marcus Davy mdavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Tue Apr 3 23:00:55 CEST 2007

Hi,
I am putting this on the development list as I think it is most appropriate
for discussion here.

This is a general question: Is there any way to quickly find out how a
package has evolved though version development? -Some sort of change log
additional to the versioning information available. For example, as the R
software evolves we can see changes in the base packages at
http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/NEWS

The motivation for this is to quickly see what changes have occurred between
stable and development package releases.

Trolling through some R/bioC base and contributed packages installed on my
system I cannot see anything obvious. I guess this depends on the package
author, for example in the limma package an output from a written log file
is available using changeLog().

Maybe subversion is the best way of getting this sort of information from
packages although less people are familiar with svn.

Marcus