[Bioc-devel] Nasty function collision

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Oct 31 22:30:28 CET 2006

Seth Falcon wrote:

> Code that does the optional generic definition really needs to go away
> at this point (I know it was needed at some point, so I'm not trying
> to point a finger or anything).  To be specific, I'm referring to any
> code that does something along the lines of:
>
>     if (!isGeneric("foo"))
>        setGeneric("foo") ...

I tried removing the if(!isGeneric("foo")) lines from annaffy and
re-installed, and it didn't make a difference. However, re-setting the
method as Colin suggested:

setMethod("getURL", "ANY", function(object) {
     RCurl::getURL(object)
})

did work, do it appears to me that the real cause of the collision is
this particular method rather than co-opting an existing generic.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.