[Bioc-devel] Nasty function collision

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Oct 31 20:08:05 CET 2006

Thanks for the input. However, I am not sure if any of these suggestions
are applicable. I don't ever call getURL() directly; it gets called as a
result of calling saveHTML() in annaffy, which outputs an HTML table, or
it gets called by useMart() in biomaRt when trying to connect to a
Biomart using the RCurl package.

It seems to me that Laurent has the best suggestion - getURL() in
annaffy has a method:

setMethod("getURL", "ANY", function(object) {

     return(character(0))
})

Which to an S4 maven may be useful, but pretty much torches the getURL()
in RCurl. It seems to me that this method isn't particularly useful (is
it?), so maybe the best course of action is to convince Colin Smith to
remove this particular method.

The other possibility is to get Steffen Durinck to change biomaRt to use
RCurl::getURL().

Or am I still missing something?

Best,

Jim