[Bioc-devel] update.packages query -was stale link to reposTools in BioC FAQ?

Keith Satterley keith at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Nov 9 04:59:34 CET 2006

Hi Herve

I have been following the thread regarding reposTools and was interestred in the
update.packages comments near the end of this interchange. In particular:
 >   > update.packages()
 >
 > followed by
 >
 >   > update.packages(getOption("BioC.Repos"))
 >
 > should be equivalent to
 >
 >   > update.packages(rep=biocReposList())

I have R2.4.0 on Windows. They are not equivalent for me.
I run
 > library(Biobase)
 > update.packages()
and I'm prompted to select a CRAN mirror, which I do (Australia VIC has been a
good mirror for me).
I am not prompted to update any packages.
I run
 > update.packages(getOption("BioC.Repos"))
and I'm not prompted to update any packages.
I run
 > update.packages(rep=biocReposList())
and I'm prompted to update 7 packages; Biostrings, GO, humanCHRLOC,
humanLLMappings, KEGG, mouseCHRLOC and mouseLLMappings. I responded N for now so
I can test further.

biocReposList() responds with 6 repositories(5 bioc + 1 cran) as shown below.
getOption("BioC.Repos") responds with NULL.
getOption("repos") responds with the CRAN and CRANextra repositories.

Hence, for me the procedures are not equivalent. Should they be?

NB. I automatically load up biocLite from my .Rprofile in "My Documents" each
time I start R. It contains:
tryCatch({
     source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
}, error=function(e) invisible(NULL),
          warning=function(w) cat("Not connected to the net\n"))

Below is a copy and paste from my Rgui window.
============================
 > library(Biobase)

Welcome to Bioconductor

     Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
     'openVignette()' or start with 'help(Biobase)'. For details
     on reading vignettes, see the openVignette help page.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_Australia.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_Australia.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_Australia.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_Australia.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "tools"     "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
"datasets"  "base"

other attached packages:
  Biobase
"1.12.2"
 > ls()
[1] "biocLite" "getBioC"
 > ge<-getOption("BioC.Repos")
 > ge
NULL
 > update.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
 > update.packages()
 > update.packages(getOption("BioC.Repos"))
 > update.packages(rep=biocReposList())
Biostrings :
  Version 2.2.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 2.2.1 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/bioc
Update (y/N/c)?  n
GO :
  Version 1.14.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 1.14.1 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation
Update (y/N/c)?  n
humanCHRLOC :
  Version 1.14.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 1.14.1 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation
Update (y/N/c)?  n
humanLLMappings :
  Version 1.14.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 1.14.2 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation
Update (y/N/c)?  n
KEGG :
  Version 1.14.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 1.14.1 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation
Update (y/N/c)?  n
mouseCHRLOC :
  Version 1.14.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 1.14.1 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation
Update (y/N/c)?  n
mouseLLMappings :
  Version 1.14.0 installed in C:/R/R-2.4.0/library
  Version 1.14.2 available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation
Update (y/N/c)?  n
 > biocReposList()
                                                   bioc
            "http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/bioc"
                                                  aData
"http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/annotation"
                                                  eData
"http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/data/experiment"
                                                     oh
        "http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/omegahat"
                                                     mo
       "http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.9/monograph"
                                                   cran
                                "http://cran.fhcrc.org"
 > getOption("BioC.Repos")
NULL

 > getOption("repos")
                                 CRAN                            CRANextra
      "http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au" "http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin"

==============================

cheers,

Keith

Keith Satterley
Bioinformatics Division
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Parkville, Melbourne,
Victoria, Australia

Herve Pages wrote:
cut ---