[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor website suggestion

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Sat May 13 05:08:07 CEST 2006

Hi Henrik,

For the latest "release", we added this URL:
    http://bioconductor.org/download/release/
It will redirect you to http://bioconductor.org/download/bioc1.8/
and we will try to always have it redirecting to the latest "release".

Be aware that it uses redirection though. Redirection has 2 inconvenients:
  - When the page starts to load, you don't see the URL
    that you've entered anymore (it's replaced by the target URL).
  - Your browser has to send 2 requests before to start loading the page.

Note that with symlinks created at the file system level, or with Apache
aliasing mechanism, you don't "see" where you have been redirected so
it makes it easier to bookmark the "permanent" URL. But our website
uses Plone and Plone uses redirection :-/

For the latest "devel", we usually don't have it under the download section.
The developper zone has now been moved to an external wiki:
  http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/DeveloperPage
(The "For Developpers" link on the left frame of the bioconductor.org
home page now points to this wiki.)

Best,

H.