[Bioc-devel] Build/check report news

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Mon May 1 22:03:11 CEST 2006

Sorry for the poor formatting of my previous post!
Here it goes again...

Thanks Kasper for your feedback!

Some of your requests/suggestions are already here:

  http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/1.9/

  o A build timestamp:
    There are now 2 more timestamps on the report:
    1) The time the report itself was generated (t1).
    2) The Snapshot Date (t2) i.e. the time the Build System performed
       the 'svn up' on the Bioconductor working copy that it uses to
       build/check the packages.
    t1 - t2 is more or less 9h30 wich is the time required by the
    Build System to build and check all the packages on all the
    platforms.
    The timestamp we always had (t3) and still have is the
    'SVN Last Changed Date' i.e. the time of the last change in the
    Bioconductor tree at the time of the snapshot.
    We should always see t3 < t2 < t1 or something is broken in the
    Build System :-/
    With these new timestamps you still don't know when your package
    was build or tested ;-), all you know is that this happened
    between t2 and t1...

  o Other automatic build platforms:
    Solaris, Windows and 32-bit Linux builds are back.

  o The -Wall flag is back. We've been using it for the 1.8 builds
    since February.
    It's back in the 1.9 builds too. I will also try to add the
    -pedantic flag if this can lead to even more usefull compiler
    messages.

Other will come soon:

  o More details on the build platform especially compiler versions:
    I'm currently working on this. Expect to see some changes before
    the end of this week.

  o The ability to see the contents of the 00INSTALL: OK, as Seth
    suggested, you can force the installation of your package during
    the 'R CMD build' step by having a vignette in it.
    Then you can see the output produced by this installation by
    following the link in the BUILD column. Anyway, I'm going to
    provide the output of the package installation.
    This can be done in at least 3 different ways:
    1) By providing access to the content of the 00install.out
       file (generated during 'R CMD check <pkg>')
    2) By providing the output of 'R CMD INSTALL <pkg>'
    3) By providing the output of 'install.packages("pkg")' (this
       could be followed by a 'library(pkg)' just to make sure that
       pkg can be loaded).
    I still have to make my mind... May be some of you see some
    advantages to one method over the other. Please let me know.

  o I'm also going to start working on the MacOS X builds.

Best, and thanks again for your feedback,

H.