[Bioc-devel] eSet class and two color arrays

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at FHCRC.ORG
Fri Jun 2 19:37:40 CEST 2006

I guess I need some more info on the use case. As it is, there can be
several assayData elements. Each sample can have a corresponding
description in phenoData. phenoData can in turn have several columns
of variables, including variables that are only relevant to one of the
assayData elements. Subsetting works across assayData and phenoData in
a consistent way.

This seems to be sub-optimal if assayData elements are identically
dimensioned, but refer to different samples (??) or different parts of
phenoData refer to different assayData elements (??) . Is the issue
that, in these cases having separate columns of phenoData, one for
each set of assayData samples, seems artificial (though subsetting,
etc., work)?

Martin

> library(Biobase)
> data(sample.eSet) # old-style eSet
> mSet <- as(sample.eSet,"MultiSet")
Warning messages:
1: creating assayData colnames from phenoData sampleNames in:
updateOldESet(sample.eSet, "MultiSet")
2: creating assayData featureNames from reporterNames in:
updateOldESet(sample.eSet, "MultiSet")
> mSet
Instance of MultiSet

assayData
  Storage mode: list
  featureNames: geno2, geno3, 3XSSC, ..., 26-M5, 26-M9 (500 total)
  Dimensions:
          R   G  Rb  Gb
Rows    500 500 500 500
Samples   4   4   4   4

phenoData
  sampleNames: a, b, c, d
  varLabels:
    SlideNumber: number
    FileName: name
    Cy3: genotype labelled Cy3
    Cy5: genotype labelled Cy5
    Date: date

Experiment data
  Experimenter name:
  Laboratory:
  Contact information:
  Title:

Annotation character(0)
> mSet[1:10,c(1,4)]
Instance of MultiSet

assayData
  Storage mode: list
  featureNames: geno2, geno3, 3XSSC, ..., 3XSSC, 3XSSC (10 total)
  Dimensions:
         R  G Rb Gb
Rows    10 10 10 10
Samples  2  2  2  2

phenoData
  sampleNames: a, d
  varLabels:
    SlideNumber: number
    FileName: name
    Cy3: genotype labelled Cy3
    Cy5: genotype labelled Cy5
    Date: date

Experiment data
  Experimenter name:
  Laboratory:
  Contact information:
  Title:

Annotation character(0)
> nSet <- mSet
> assayData(nSet) <- assayDataNew(R=assayData(mSet)[["R"]], Rb = assayData(mSet)[["Rb"]])
> phenoData(nSet) <- phenoData(nSet)[,c("SlideNumber", "Cy3")]
> nSet
Instance of MultiSet

assayData
  Storage mode: lockedEnvironment
  featureNames: geno2, geno3, 3XSSC, ..., 26-M5, 26-M9 (500 total)
  Dimensions:
         Rb   R
Rows    500 500
Samples   4   4

phenoData
  sampleNames: a, b, c, d
  varLabels:
    SlideNumber: number
    Cy3: genotype labelled Cy3

Experiment data
  Experimenter name:
  Laboratory:
  Contact information:
  Title:

Annotation character(0)
> exprs(mSet) # which element of assayData should be the 'exprs'?
Error in exprs(mSet) : no direct or inherited method for function 'exprs' for this call