[Bioc-devel] HTTP GET and POST with RCurl | RMySQL

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 24 18:01:48 CET 2006

Hi Steffen,

Overall, I think making use of RCurl, and for webservices, SSOAP, is a
good idea and something that we would like to encourage.

On 23 Jan 2006, steffen.durinck at esat.kuleuven.be wrote:
> - Do users find RCurl hard to install and is it easier to install
>   than RMySQL on all platforms.

In general, I think the answer is yes.  As long as an appropriate
version of the RCurl binary package has been made available (by
Omegahat) then installation is entirely trivial on Windows.  On
unix-like systems, libcurl is commonly available.

> - Will a package that depends on RCurl be build on the bioconductor
> repository for all platforms? (With RMySQL my package is not being
> build on Windows as RMySQL is not installed)

Yes, although as you can see, we seem not to have a binary version of
RCurl available for R-devel.  We will fix this.  Note that for us,
keeping RCurl going on Windows is *much* easier than keeping RMySQL
going.

Best Wishes,

+ seth