[Bioc-devel] HTTP GET and POST with RCurl | RMySQL

Steffen Durinck steffen.durinck at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 23 16:23:42 CET 2006

Hi,

I want to rewrite a package that currently uses MySQL queries with the
use of a webservice that does these queries over HTTP, and need simple
HTTP POST and HTTP GET methods.
RCurl has postForm and getURL and does the job. However one of the
reasons to use a webservice over providing MySQL queries was that I want
to make the package as userfriendly to install as possible, on all
platforms.  With MySQL  there is the problem that for Windows, the
RMySQL package is not maintained on CRAN and during installation users
have to intervene to get a proper installation.  RCurl is also not
maintained by CRAN but by omegahat and requires libcurl to be installed.

here my questions:

- Do users find RCurl hard to install and is it easier to install than
RMySQL on all platforms.

- Will a package that depends on RCurl be build on the bioconductor
repository for all platforms? (With RMySQL my package is not being build
on Windows as RMySQL is not installed)

- I've also tried the httpRequest package available from CRAN, but in my
hands R crashes on both Windows and Linux  when trying  to use the
webservice and it is very slow. Have others experienced the same?

- Are there any other options to consider to have an HTTP GET and POST
method in R?

Thanks,
Steffen