[Bioc-devel] Couple of eSet questions

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 6 16:55:58 CET 2006

Sean Davis wrote:

>>>Yes, I'm just not convinced that eSet has any business having actual
>>>data slots; those are the domain of its subclasses.
>

> I'm just curious as to when and by whom eSets will be subclassed?  Will that
> be left to individual package developers, or will these subclasses be
> available in biobase for general consumption?

  Ideally there would be platform/experimentt specific subclasses.
Initially I would expect them all to be different, but overtime for
consensus to appear. For example, we would be really supportive of some
move on the arrayCGH front that went for a standardized data format (and
some form of eSet could be used). For flow cytometry the prada package
has already done something along these lines and we make some use of it
in rflowcyt.

   I doubt it would all go in Biobase, but rather that there might be a
aCGHBase and a flowBase etc that would help to accommodate different groups.

   Whether that happens depends a lot on those folks. We try pretty hard
not to enforce any particular style but rather to show that there are
benefits from using common formats and to having the data be as
self-describing as possible.

Hopefully, once we make some progress on the microarray experiment
repository more people will see the benefits of this approach, but maybe
not.

  best wishes
    Robert

> Sean