[Bioc-devel] texmf error on 7 packages on devel winXP build nodes

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Aug 27 10:42:40 CEST 2006

Hi Herve, Seth and Martin,

I agree with all you say, in principle, but I
think that you are forgetting the reason why some
of packages include the line \usepackage{Sweave}
in the first place. If the solution of removing
this line from the Sweave vignette worked in all
operating systems, then we would have done it years ago.

Here's the problem: the default value for R_HOME
in the english version of Windows is a character
string which includes a space character ("Program
Files"). The space character is not allowable
syntax in LaTeX. This means that when Sweave adds
the location of the Sweave.sty to the vignette
the result is a .tex file which cannot be processed by LaTeX.

There are only two solutions in Windows. Either
(i) install R into a non-standard location which
doesn't have a space in the path-name or (ii)
include \usepackage{Sweave} in the vignette and
copy Sweave.sty to the LaTeX search path. This
situation is explained in Appendix A.12 of the Sweave User Manual at

   http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/

Configuring MikTeX to find the "correct" version
of Sweave.sty in R_HOME is not a viable option,
because R_HOME changes everytime one installs a
new version of R, and most of us run multiple versions of R at any time anyway.

Neither solution (i) or (ii) is ideal, but we
have so far taken the approach that (ii) is the less drastic of the two.

If we take the approach that you suggest of
removing \usepackage{Sweave} then we get packages
which will pass Rcmd check under Windows but
which cannot be built, assuming that R has been
installed in the default (recommended) location.

Maybe things have changed over the last few
years, but I've just experimented a bit with R
2.4.0dev under Windows XP, and all the above still seems to be true.

Regards
Gordon