[Bioc-devel] Newly proposed version bump plan

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Sep 29 17:33:36 CEST 2005

Hi Korbinian,

I'm cc'ing bioc-devel because this is an important question.

On 29 Sep 2005, korbinian.strimmer at lmu.de wrote:
> Dear Seth,
>
> What is your strategy for packages that are both on CRAN and
> on BioC ?   This is the case for GeneTS and a few other packages.
>
> I think it would be quite confusing if the identical package has a
> different version number here and there..

Yes, having identical packages with different version numbers is
unacceptable.

One easy solution is for packages such as GeneTS to send an update to
CRAN with the new version number.  Is this agreeable to those
maintainers that desire to have their packages in both CRAN and
Bioconductor?

I don't see another solution, actually, and it is something that would
be an issue under _any_ version bumping scheme.  Packages that live in
CRAN and Bioconductor are something of an exception and it really has
to be the responsibility of the package's maintainer to make sure
things are in sync.

So, are you ok with making sure GeneTS gets updated in CRAN after the
BioC release?

Best,

+ seth