[Bioc-devel] Hardware

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 6 20:18:35 CEST 2005

On  4 Sep 2005, znmeb at cesmail.net wrote:
> I'm not an expert by any means, but unless you have a fair amount of
> money and a fairly high frustration tolerance for open-source
> software, I'd stick with a 32-bit machine, at least for a couple of
> iterations of R, libraries, compilers, and operating systems.

It is true that 64bit can introduce some... complications and things
are smoother in 32-bit land.

HOWEVER, I would recommend a 64bit system with as much ram as you can
afford.  If you have a choice of spending money on CPU vs RAM, choose
more RAM.

We run 64-bit Linux for our development work on Bioconductor.  We have
encountered some frustration with some external libraries, but R along
with most CRAN and Bioconductor packages work out-of-the-box.

Best,

+ seth