[Bioc-devel] eset.Rnw revised in Biobase, please review

Kevin Coombes krc at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
Tue Sep 6 16:45:47 CEST 2005

Hi,

I think the history idea is extremely important (and useful). We analyze a
lot of different microarray experiments. As a consequence, we often find
ourselves in the position of having to go back and figure out exactly how a
particular data set was analyzed when we are writing the methods section
for the resulting article or grant proposal. Our experience is that the
scripts that supposedly performed the analysis don't always match the
objects that were saved, and so we have started implementing a
comprehensive history mechanism that does update the history slot every
time the object is created or modified. You can take a look at the
implementation at
	http://bioinformatics.mdanderson.org/Software/OOMPA
To get this to work, however, we've had to turn processing functions into
objects that know how to update the history slot. The benefit is that you
can just ask the object what it's history is (or even put it into the
summary method).

We're in the process of converting the various pieces of "expresso" into
"Processor" and "Pipeline" objects so we can handle affymetrix arrays
seamlessly, but the code isn't yet in a form that is suitable for public
consumption.

Best,
	Kevin

--On Tuesday, September 06, 2005 7:19 AM -0700 Robert Gentleman