[Bioc-devel] Newbie Question - How to submit patches

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Fri Oct 14 19:10:11 CEST 2005

Robert Gentleman wrote:

> As for coding standards etc, I refer you to the document Writing R
> Extensions, and possibly to the R Installation and Administration
> Guide (both of which should have come with your R).

Thanks for the pointer, it has lot of good tips.  This document though
seems to use ANSI as a baseline:

The following tools can "safely be assumed" for R extensions.

    * An ISO 9899, also known as ISO C89 or ANSI C compiler...Any
      extensions, such as POSIX or ISO C99, must be tested for,
      typically using Autoconf

Does bioconductor use autoconf, or perhaps autoconf doesn't catch the
flag requirement as it should?

> Perhaps if you showed us the real output from your compiler more could
> be determined and less guessed. I see from your second email that you
> did not in fact find the "first" declaration in the file, but rather
> the first that was not at the start of a block.
>
>  I've created
>
>> patches for the few source files affected (using malloc() to
>> dynamically create these arrays), but how should I submit these?  Am
>> I the first person not using gcc under Unix?
>

>  I suspect not.
>
>  And no we really don't want to malloc, Ralloc might be lived with,
> but first let's make sure we agree on the problem and then see what
> the fix is.

Since it is only allocated once, realloc and malloc function
equivalently, so I chose the former (one less parameter to type :-))
I've attached my revisions for your perusal (relevant lines are label
with a comment with my name).  Once again, I'm new to R and
Bioconductor, so my questions are not meant to insult anyone's code, but
rather to help me understand how I can get my development in line with
the R way...