[Bioc-devel] Problem with getBioC()

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue May 24 15:54:26 CEST 2005

Hi Jelle,

"Goeman, J.J. \(MSTAT\)" <J.J.Goeman at lumc.nl> writes:
> I'm running getBioC() on a newly installed R 2.1.0 on windows.
> All works fine, until I come to the following error message:
>
> Error in sprintf(gettext("unable to move temp installation '%d' to '%s'"),  :
>         use format %s for character objects
>
> This terminates the installation. It did not install all packages.

Any chance you had some Bioc packages already loaded via library()
before you ran getBioC?  In particular, if you happened to have an old
version of affy loaded, this would, I believe, be the expected failure
mode.

We have not seen this issue in our testing on Windows.

One thing you could try from a fresh R session:

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")
getBioC("affy")

This should just download and install affy and its direct
dependencies.  Since that seemed to be the package that caused the
error, this would be a faster way of trying to reproduce.

Best,

+ seth