[Bioc-devel] ANN: BioC Developer's Meeting/agenda/discussion

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sun Jul 17 20:24:59 CEST 2005

Hi,

  To amplify a bit on both Gordon and Vince's comments. Yes packages
should be mentioned in multiple places, but there are also reasons to
split functionality into separate packages so that users have more
choice about methods that they use (this has always been a strength of R
and one that I am much in favor of) and the situations in which they use
them. But that said, we still need a mechanism that will allow for
multiple listings, one that lets package authors control the comments
and as Vince suggested, different comments for different headings does
seem worthwile, but not necessary.

Also, I think Achim had mostly a CRAN view in mind when designing ctv
(hence its name) and while that view (where most packages do only one
thing and package dependencies are rare and not very complicated) is a
pretty good one for CRAN, it is less good for Bioconductor where there
are both more dependencies and more multi-purpose packages. So I think
some changes would be helpful, or perhaps the two repositories are so
different that we need a btv :-)

We almost surely need some standard markup for the package author to
write what they want to have seen, once some vague notion of task views
are set up. My very strong preference is to do this in XML since there
are good tools for parsing and working with it. Quite possible in
inst/ctv would be a sensible spot so that it was available after
installation (although that might not be necessary). It would be very
straight forward to write some code to put in ctv that wrote one of
these out from basic user input, no need for them to know XML and
someone could surely write a widget in tcl/tk if they were so inclined.

Life would be much simpler with an ontology, but that does not seem
likely to appear in any short order but perhaps we could decide if we
like the terms that Vince has used, and if there are any other
extensions. In some sense these belong either in ctv, or some other
place so that new developers have easy access to them (and no I don't
think we should use the KEYWORDS file in R; I have to say I find that
mechanism distinctly unhelpful). Gordon, do you have input on the
hierarchy of terms? And do you think it would be useful to have package
developers add themselves in and out, or should this be done by the
maintainer?

Initially there were some arguments against developers doing it, as we
might want to have the view managed by an expert in the field who could
also give recommendations.

  Best wishes
   Robert

Best wishes,