[Bioc-devel] ANN: BioC Developer's Meeting/agenda/discussion

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sun Jul 17 09:44:36 CEST 2005

At 01:33 PM 8/07/2005, Vincent Carey 525-2265 wrote:
> > > 2. Integration of efforts (packages) that are currently duplicating
> > >    (or competing with) each other.
> >
> > Yes, the task view catalog that I have established will help identify
> > these competitions more conveniently.  I will shortly post links to
> this catalog.
>
>The first task view rendering can now be seen at
>http://www.biostat.harvard.edu/~carey/top.html
>
>comments welcome.  this was a fairly haphazard construction
>of topic-set and mapping to packages.

Are you trying to put each package into one and only one category? I think
that this approach tends to emphasis fragmentation rather than unity and
doesn't do justice to packages with virtual integration. Topics like
"Bayes", "linear modelling", "factorial design", "differential expression"
and "multiple testing", for example, don't split into non-overlapping
topics. Rather they are all aspects of the same thing. Pre-processing and
normalization is somewhat more separate, but even this interacts deeply
with the same topics.

I suggest that a grouping into larger and not mutually exclusive groups
might be more helpful.

Here are some specific problems:

The limma package isn't mentioned under "Bayesian", "FactorialDesigns",
"TimeSeries" or "MultipleTesting", even though it is probably the most used
package in each of these categories.

Limma isn't mentioned anywhere in any of the Preprocessing categories,
although it is one of the most used packages for non-affy pre-processing.
The preprocessing package arrayMagic package, for example, calls limma
functions to do normalization and pre-processing.

How are "ErrorModels" different from statistical models used to assess
differential expression? The LPE and plgem packages should surely get a
mention under differential expression rather than here. The LPE package is
very similar in spirit to the empirical Bayes approach for differential
expression, and should be grouped somewhere with packages like limma,
EBayes, siggenes etc.

twilight is another package which seems to me to be doing differential
expression, but is currently only listed under "MultipleTesting".

What sort of graphics is included under "Visualization"? Many of the
packages with pre-processing functionality including plotting functions,
including marray, limma, arrayMagic.

Gordon