[Bioc-devel] Updated biocViews beta available: please comment

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 6 21:38:15 CET 2005

> Please have a look at both and tell us what you think.

Looks very nice.  The one comment I have is that when you go to the
individual package pages
(e.g. http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/bioc/1.8/html/sscore.html), the
email portions of the Author/Maintainer field look absolutely terrible
(IMO) due to the anti-spam obfuscation, to the extent that (again
IMO) they probably shouldn't even be put in there if they're going to be
that gibberishy.

This reminds me of a system I did see at one point, in use at
www.zincfingers.org.  Relooking at their source it seems they're using
something called "Spam Vaccine".  IIRC it uses a mangled name that then
gets passed to a javascript applet to transpose it to plaintext on
display such that spambots won't see the actual email.  Don't know how
well it works though.