[Bioc-devel] reposTools functions now DEPRECATED

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 1 21:38:55 CET 2005

As of reposTools 1.9.1, the following functions are deprecated:

install.packages2
remove.packages2
update.packages2
download.packages2

The built-in functions in the utils package are to be used instead
(same names, but without the trailing '2').

If your package uses reposTools for "automagic" package installation,
please see this page for suggestions on how to migrate to R's built-in
tools:

http://www.bioconductor.org/developers/devwiki/AutomagicPackageInstallation

Some rationale for this decision

 - Simplifies user experience: Bioc users need not learn anything new
   for Bioc package installation.

 - Simplifies project repository maintenance.  For the past two Bioc
   releases, we have hosted our package repositories in two formats:
   reposTools-style and CRAN-style.  It will be easier for the project
   to maintain a single repository format.

 - R's built-in functions now support the vast majority of features
   that led to the development of the *.packages2 functions in
   reposTools (dependencies and multiple repositories).

Best,

+ seth