[Bioc-devel] eSet questions

Sun Aug 21 07:24:16 CEST 2005

I have a few questions regarding the eSet class. According to the
documentation (comments/help files) it is meant to replace the
exprSet class, so I am wondering whether I should this this as the
building block for a new class.

Basically I just need a matrix linked in the usual way to a phenoData
slot (plus some more), so the standard approach would be to use an
exprSet (and ignoring the se.exprs slot), and this is indeed what I
have been doing in the first development.

Now I see that the oligo package is using the eSet class as the basic
building block.

I do have some hesitations regarding using the eSet class as I do not
see a lot of validity checking going on: eq. nothing ensures that the
construction has an exprs slot (ok, not slot but member of the
exprsListNM slot of the eList slot of the eSet object). In fact, even
thought he comments indicate that the members of the exprListNM slot
have the same dimension, nothing ensures this. Of course this could
be solved by me using an appropriate validity function, but that
seems a bit backwards to me (but that may be the intentions?)

In fact I would be tempted to use a new class like the exprSet
without the se.exprs slot... (although I will probably opt for the
exprSet class just for consistency).

Comments?

Kasper