[R-sig-ME] parameterization for partly nested design with repeated measurements

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 13 14:03:10 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Kay Cecil Cichini
<Kay.Cichini at uibk.ac.at> wrote:
> dear mr. bates,
>
> many thanks for answering to my mail.
> "1|school/class" is the same as "1|school + 1|class", isn't it?

If the classes have unique labels they are.  Technically the expression

(1 | school/year) expands to (1|school:class) + (1|school)

but if the classes are labeled uniquely then (1|school:class) is the
same as (1|class)

I find it easier to avoid using the (1|school/class) notation because
it is not commutative.  (1|class/school) is not the same as
(1|school/class) and I have seen people choose the wrong one.

The whole issue of crossed versus nested factors is in some ways
artificial.  The model specification in lmer and glmer is the same
provided that the factors have appropriate labels.