[R-sig-ME] crossed random effect

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed Nov 10 15:49:53 CET 2010

Dear Cristian,

Having only 2 levels for a random effect is not ideal for a mixed model.
You will get very unreliable variance estiametes. You better fit
observer as fixed effect.
Note that this will only solve the problem of the false convergence. You
will not get good estimates of the inter observer variability because
that will require data on much more observers.

What is your definition of repetition? Are those 7 different objects
that are measured? Or the same object 7 times?

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey