[R-sig-ME] Questions - the stepwise selection issue.

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 8 01:17:12 CET 2010

The stepwise model reduction issue is an interesting one.

My view is that:
1) One should always begin by looking at the t-statistics for
the coeffs in the full model (assuming that this is a situation
where they are more or less believable!).  If there is a clear
division into those that are significant and those that are
clearly not significant (p-value > 0.1, maybe), then drop
those that are not significant.  Check what difference this
makes to the residual SE, and to the coefficients (any large
changes may matter if there is an interest in interpreting
coefficients).  There are other issues to consider; are some
variables of such scientific consequence that they should
be retained regardless?

2) Backwise stepwise selection or (better) exhaustive
subset selection if the problem is not too large are a resort
of desperation if some variant of (1) fails to give a useful
result.  The approach (1) is most likely to fail to give a useful
result in cases where there is quite a large number of
explanatory variables, exactly the situation where variable
selection bias becomes a serious issue.  The function
bestsetNoise() in the DAAG package is designed to make
it easy to experiment with variable selection effects for
data that are purely noise.  For getting realistic SEs, some
alternatives are:
  a) repeat the whole analysis, selection and all, with repeated
  bootstrap samples;
  b) get SEs by repeated bootstrap sampling from 'test' data.
  c) simulate, with selection and all, from the fitted model.
For both a) and c) one has to deal with getting somewhat
different selections each time round (that is itself instructive).

3) If the approach (2) has been used, and there is interest
in the interpretation of coefficients, check the coefficients
against those from the full model.  Any large changes will
ring a warning bell for attempts to interpret them.

4) One possibility, following stepwise or other selection,
is that one or more p-values may be so small that they are
very unlikely to be an artefact of the selection process.
In general, a simulation will be required, in order to be
sure.

Somewhat casual approaches to the use of backward (or
other) stepwise selection may be a holdover from hand
calculator days, or times when computers grunted somewhat
to handle even modest sized calculations.  If the inclusion and
exclusion criteria are suitably chosen (but who really knows
what is suitable?), I suspect that in some contexts they do
more or less work to give believable answers, without undue
selection bias.  But how, without checks such as I have noted,
can one be sure?  This may be one of the murky dark alleys
of statistical practice, where magic incantations and hope too
often prevail over hard evidence.

It would be useful to find a review paper that covers this
ground systematically and incisively, without undue reliance
on specific examples.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm

On 08/11/2010, at 5:42 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:

> On 10-11-07 11:14 AM, Shawn McCracken wrote:
>> Shawn McCracken <smccracken at ...> writes:
>>

>>> Dear Mixed-models group,
>>>
>>> I am working with a dataset containing fixed and nested random effects. I
>>> have
>>> one fixed effect that I am most interested in and the others were collected
>>> see if they also might have an influence. I apologize for the novel but
>>> hopefully discussion of this will help others in the future who are as
>>> intimidated as I was/am.
>>>
>>> The data consist of total counts of anuran individuals from a particular
>>> species
>>> of epiphytic phytotelm plant found in tree canopies at two sites. The site
>>> difference (if any) is my main interest. At each site all trees with
>>> suitable
>>> #¹s of this epiphyte species for sampling were located within a
>>> predetermined
>>> size area. 16 trees were randomly selected from those available at each site
>>> and
>>> 5 epiphytes were then randomly sampled for all anurans within them. So, 2